September 21, 2020
- Meeting called to order by Mayor Patrick Bates on Monday, September 21, 2020 at 7:00 P.M.
- Roll call by Clerk Keirstyn Montgomery. All Council members present.
- Mayor Patrick Bates asked for any public comments, there were none.
- Approval of minutes from August 17, 2020 Regular Meeting. Motion to approve by Donald Gunter, second by Keith Hardman. Approved 6-0.
- Approval of September invoices & payroll. Motion to approve by Donald Gunter, second by Keith Hardman. Approved 6-0.
- Mayor Patrick Bates announced to council that he is applying to the Appalachian Regional Commission for a grant to help cover the expense of building a 100 x 20 Farmers Market building at the south end of Mt. Carmel Road.
- Mayor Patrick Bates announced that the Town of Berlin has been approved for a state “Rivers & Streams” grant to build steps and handicapped parking spaces for the Town Hall.
- Council approved the purchase of a 5-gallon fire extinguisher for the Town Hall, as well as annual inspections for the device, from Alabama Fire & Safety Equipment. Motion to approve by Keith hardman, second by Donald Gunter. Approved 6-0.
- Council made motion to contract Vinemont Welding & Fabrication in the amount of $450 to media blast, powder coat primer, and super duty powder coat Farmers Market sign. Motion to approve by Jimbo Quick, second by Bruce Bentley. Approved 6-0.
- Council made motion to seek out bids on bush hogging the town’s property, with the stipulation that the provider must carry a minimum of $100,000 in liability insurance.
- Mayor Patrick Bates asked permission to purchase toner from the State Bid List for the Town Hall printer in the amount not to exceed $300. Motion to approve by Donald Gunter, second by Bruce Bentley. Approved 6-0.
- Mayor Patrick Bates informed Council that approximately 80% of CARES ACT funds are still available. Council made suggestion on use of CARES ACT funds. Suggestions included creating Wi-Fi hotspot for children in the community, Plexiglas dividers for use in classrooms at Fairview, Welti, and Holly Pond Elementary Schools, and COVID-19 supply boxes to the Berlin Community.
- Motion to adjourn by Don Bates, second by Jimbo Quick. Approved 6-0.
- Adjourned at 7:27 PM.
- The next meeting of the Berlin Town Council will be October 19, 2020 at the Berlin Community Center.